Re: autosave--and mysterious EOFs

Carlo's story about being unable to open a file because it's slightly wonky
is one that I suspect many of us (I exempt the Masters of the Universe on
this list, no sarcasm intended) have experienced. It happens to me
frequently when some Word user or WordPerfect user sends me a file which
they've *tried* to translate into XyWrite -- that is, which MSW or WP has
mendaciously (because those programs lie a lot) *claimed* to have converted
into XyWrite.

Although Carlo's real question was about EOFs, it occurs to me that some
members of the group may have read Carlo's story only up to "invalid
formatting command", and after groaning in sympathy may have read no
further. What Carlo didn't try, and perhaps should have, was (a) start a
NEw file, (b) in the new file, switch to expanded mode, (c) MErge the old
file into the new one, (d) in expanded mode go looking for the glitch. This
isn't a real fix (you have to know what you're looking for or be very
lucky), but at least it avoids that terrible feeling of utter impotence and
locked-out-ness.

Cheers
Eric Van Tassel