Re: Winprint/vDos wrinkle

As I recall now, I think I altered the 3generic.prn driver -- using the Epson escape sequences for bold and italics, but leaving underscore as is.  That worked, at least in xy3.

A better choice(?) for you might be the PCL6 routine Edward Mendelson described at the vdos discussion site, which gives you all the power of PCL6; and embedded pi commands do work.  TY commands go straight to the printer, and any of the xywrite HP LJ drivers should work.

Or you can just load an HP LJ driver and print normally, as long as pcl16.exe is in the vdos directory; vdos automatically detects the driver and will send a PDF to screen, which in turn can be sent to any Windows printer, and again should work with embedded pcl6 commands.

From: Carl Distefano
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, March 6, 2015 5:52 PM
Subject: Re: Winprint/vDos wrinkle

John, thanks. In XyWrite 4, GENERIC.PRN and an Epson driver each give
me underlining but no boldface, while STANDARD.PRN gives me boldface,
no underlining, and unwanted double spacing. Neither WinPrint nor
DOSPrinter gives any effect to embedded formatting commands.

I'm glad I don't print hard copies from Xy as neither WinPrint nor
DOSPrinter has proved satisfactory for this purpose. (DOSPrinter does
work nicely, however, for printing to PDF.)

--
Carl Distefano
mailto:cld@xxxxxxxx