Re: a Windows 7 question re 'encryption key'

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 11:12 AM, J R FOX mailto:jr_fox@xxxxxxxx wrote:
What was the source of your W7 ?  Retail box ?  OEM disc that came with the computer

Retail box.
Although I mentioned the Acronis backup to cover all bases, I don't think this has anything to do with Acronis. (Like you, I've used it for years with no problems.) And while Googling shows a number of people have had this prompt to back up an encryption key even though they haven't encrypted anything,  none mentions Acronis.

What they do say is that they've recently installed Windows 7 or Windows 8.

Is it possible that MS delivers the prompt as a precautionary warning -- i.e., in case you decide in future to encrypt files, you'd better back up your encryption key -- but is too verbally challenged to make that clear?