Re: 2 mysterious quirks in XYWrite 4.17

** Reply to message from "Kubic, Milan J"  on Wed, 13 Nov
2002 09:52:11 -0500

> (1) it opens only on the upper half of the screen. This I can fix,
> by changing the screen length in the screen hardware default to 43 o 50,
> which enlarges the page, and then by switching back to screen length 25,
> which enlarges the command line and the text). But

I answered this a few weeks ago, on 10/17 to be precise:

"If your screen occupies the upper half of the display only, then its your
Layout settings. Make sure your program (XyWrite?) is running (it must be
running!), toggle into a Desktop window (Alt-Enter), RMB on the titlebar,
Properties==>Layout==>set Screen Buffer Size *and* Window Size *both* to
Width=80, Height=25 ==>OK==>Save properties for future windows. Now toggle
back into Full screen VGA (Alt-Enter), and you should see a normal VGA screen."

> (2) except for the directories saved on the hard drive C, the
> XYWrite does not list the files in the subdirectories. When I call up the H
> drive, which is on the agency's server, Xywrite will list the H:\
> subdirectories, but if I try to call up one of them to get its list of
> files, the program says 0 files and gives the number of remaining bytes. If
> I know the name of the file and write it out with the H:\subdirectory path,
> the file comes up with no problem.
> Do you know anyone savvy enough to help me fix this?

Mike Shupp, among several others, commented insightfully on this last March.
He pointed out that XyWrite chokes on Read-Only directories. ATTRIB is the
solution there, if you have Administrator rights. Then somebody (Paul Ambos, I
think) made the amazing discovery -- really amazing -- that XyWrite won't read
a directory that has the Archive bit set. ATTRIB again is the fix. But you
also need to tell us what commands, specifically, you are issuing -- on the
CMline, using absolute paths, or relative paths, or what? CD commands, DIR
commands, what? Are you observing 8.3 filenaming, with the tildes and all? Do
you have permission to visit those subdirs "on the agency's server"? (Are they
Shared subdirs, and do you have a recognized password? Are you issuing a NET
USE command?) Does the subdir depth exceed 79 or 80 chars? XyWrite chokes if
it does.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx