Re: SWEEP WORKS! searching subdirectories

Robert Holmgren wrote:

> ** Reply to message from Judith Davidsen  on Sat, 10
> Aug 2002 12:34:40 -0400
>
> > Still no joy. I even assigned NIBK to ctrl 21 (Y) and got
> > nowhere.
>
> Very odd. But what process are you trying to BreaK out of?

sse /term/. Using Sweep itself as the comand
doesn't work at all.

> > I'm on a Dell Inspiron 3200 with Win98SE. Maybe that's got
> > something to do with the problem.
>
> Funny thing: I have a Dell Inspiron 7500 with Win98SE sitting in another room.
> I just configured its KBD file to 90=NIBK in 7 out of 8 TABLEs. I then used the
> DEFTO$ frame, as a simple test frame -- not SWEEP! I launched DEFTO$,
> and then immediately tried to BreaK out of it, without entering another
> keystroke. All 7 assignments worked, even unadulterated "Pause/(blue)Break" by
> itself, no Fn key, no nothing.
>
> Have you tried this? Do exactly what I did -- use DEFTO$ -- and tell me if it
> works. If that doesn't work, Email me your KBD file -- something is screwed up.

It does work. Looks as though every key/combination that I
assigned NIBK to (including ctrl+Y) will BreaK me out of
DEFTO$, but not out of sse.

However, pause/break all by itself will also BreaK me out of
DEFTO$ (but not sse)--and all by itself, in the unshifted
table, it's got nothing assigned to it but NI, no BK.

> With SWEEP, or SEarch actually, I think you have a different situation. SEarch
> is sitting there, waiting for a one-character keystroke (spacebar|C[ontinue],
> O[pen], N[ext file], S[top]). You're trying to BreaK out of the frame, by
> issuing func BK. But SEarch is frustrating that. SEarch is reading your [func
> BK] keystroke and throwing it away, because it isn't one of the acceptable keys
> (C, O, N, S, space) that SEarch is waiting for. So it's a peculiar situation,
> and one you can't defeat with BreaK, I'm afraid.
>
> The sort-of-good news is that in v113 I set the Stop option to do an ,
> which means a dead halt to the running program, its parent (SWEEP), the whole
> bloody family. Sort-of-good because it's not smart programming practice, but --
> what the hell.

I'm looking forward.

Thanks
Judith