Re: AOT settings

Harry,

My first experience with screensavers was ca. 1993 on a 486 with a
"whopping" 25 mhz chip and a super vga monitor running the hideous
Windows 3.1. I discovered that they would interfere with long XPL
routines (such as moving embedded notes to a separate file).

Since then, and until my XP machine, I have always declined any and all
opportunities to use screensavers. However, with my XP machine I have
simply forgotten to deal with this issue until just now, which makes me
think that XyWrite under XP is impervious, or, more likely, the machine
runs so fast that the XPL program concludes 'ere the damage is done.

But thanks for the reminder.

Harry Binswanger wrote:

Dear Harry I do not know whether it is appropriate to comment on this before Robert and Carl explain what is happening, but I had a similar problem when I was using Windows 98SE. The computer resource person from United Synagogue suggested that I turn off my screensaver option within Windows 98SE. I did and the problem disappeared. I agree with you that it is annoying and frustrating. I hope his suggestion works for you.
I stopped using Screen Savers long ago. They're unnecessary and they cause trouble. But thanks. When I get sufficiently fed up, I'll move to XP (unless I go thoroughly Mac, rather than partially, as now). Harry Binswanger hb@xxxxxxxx
-- Leslie Bialler, Columbia University Press lb136@xxxxxxxx 61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023 212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)
http://www.columbia.edu/cu/cup