Re: U2 fram[e] PrsExe50

Reply to note from cld@xxxxxxxx Mon, 15 Sep 2008 22:34:47 +0000

> If you must do this

I say "if you must" because there are inevitable tradeoffs when you
combine func XC and Helpkey in a single key. For one, you've got to
decide whether commands or U2 framenames are going to take
precedence. In other words, when you issue a CMline that is both a
valid native command and a valid U2 framename, which one will be
executed?

Yes, I realize that.
 The routine I posted earlier today favors native commands.

That's what I'd pick.
(Although it's arguable that framenames should take precedence, the
cons of that arrangement outweigh the pros, IMO.) In consequence,
you still need to maintain a separate, dedicated Helpkey

I do have that.
to launch
framenames that coincide with native commands (or else forego the
value-added of these frames). For another, unless you're willing to
live with a constant harangue of beeps (and my routine presumes that
you're not), the informational PRompt that issues after certain
commands are completed -- e.g., the PRompt reporting the number of
changes after a CI command -- will not display (because the
subroutine that restores the Error Beep setting wipes it out),
Oh! Well, I do use that info quite often. I suppose the work around is to
use, when I want that info, F9 key (which has a "raw" XC on it).
 and in some cases an incorrect and *misleading* message will display
instead. If you want to see the informational PRompt, you'll have no
choice but to maintain and use a separate, dedicated XC key to
launch these commands (or live with default EB=0,0; see below).

Once you realize that you still need separate XC and Help keys to
take full advantage of Editor and U2, it's a short step to junking
the combo key altogether. At least, that's what I've concluded every
time I've tried the combo: a day or two tops, and out it goes.
Decide for yourself.
Okay, I'll give it a whirl. I *think* I'll be happy with a dedicated XC key
and a combo ENTER.
BTW, the frame I posted earlier is a generic XC|Helpkey routine, not
suitable for use with the Enter key. For the Enter key, use the
routine below;

Oh, thanks, I sent a note about that before getting this.
If your usual default Error Beep setting is EB=0,0 (no error beep),
No, I have an error beep. A cheery, chipper thing that I've long grown to
love Stockholm syndrome?.
Now, I still have the Change Directory issue, voiced in my original post,
but I think I see now how to test for it: you've done that with
{greater than}1351>. So in that condition I can have it JM 2.
hbcdQ2--"hbcd" being my frame for changing directories.
All this is going to make me very happy. Or plunge me into despair if it
turns out to have too high a price.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx