Re: New fonts for windowed mode (CP 850)

Robert Holmgren wrote:

** Reply to message from "M.C." on Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:03:00 +0100 Nice fonts, Manuel. I particularly like 12x27 -- but they're all good (although for some reason the heavier version of 10x21 won't load). A bizarre thing is that every time I look at Properties ==> Font, the sizes are reported differently. For example, sometimes it says 12x27, sometimes 16x37! The Windows font selector is a miserable, buggy, confusing utility -- just awful (not enough information, no filenames). Sometimes I have to select a font 3 or 4 times to get it to "stick". (And I know exactly which one I'm looking at too, because I changed the "Terminal" text to something unique for each font.)
Robert, I can't reproduce that. I have tested again just now and they load here without any problem. Keep in mind that I didn't test the fonts under XP (you're using XP, I suppose). They work perfectly under W2000 and your trick too. Uninstall 10_21_XY.FON and then install 10_21_XYM.FON (or viceversa), just to test.
We now have a lot of decent font choices, thanks to you and Sieber. The only "gap" that I presently feel is for a mid-size 1252 font that is actually thorough. Sieber's are the right size, but not thorough -- he skips a number of high-order chars that I need. The de Forest 1252 font _is_ complete, but very small (http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~af380/cp1252c.zip). Mid-size -- not screen-filling, but not so small as cp1252c. _That_ I could really use. In fact, it would be my standard DOS window font... I usually run 1280x1024 or (less often) 1400x1050. The only reason I mention this is that I suspect you already have almost everything needed to build such a font, lacking only a very few characters.
I attach to this message a 1252 CP font in 16x34 matrix. The same included in the package but now for Ansified XyWrite. It's my usual font. If you need one for 1024x768, it will take time but not too much. Please let me know. Thank you very much for your feedback. Best regards, Manuel Castelao