Re: Need advice on MS Word (if anyone can stand it)

At 11:36 PM 3/20/99 EST, Tim Baehr:

>If you keep files in different subdirectories, open a file to work on and
>then do File-Save As-Cancel. This logs you on to that file's subdirectory
>instead of the maddening "My Documents", which has always struck me as
>somewhat kindergartenish.

It strikes me that way too. But why not simply set your "preferences" --
or "options", I forget (I don't have MS Turd on this computer, so can't
check, and anyway my own copy is all in Japanese) -- to log you on
D:\OPERA\MAG_OPUS\ (or whatever) by default? That's what I did.

>This is not to say that I still don't hate Word.

I used to hate it too. Then I thought: This is ridiculous; millions of
people not obviously more intelligent or patient than myself manage to do
things with this atrocity. So let's invest an hour or so in investigating
templates and preferences.

And so I did, and now I merely dislike the program (which puts it at about
the same level as WordPerfect). I second Nathan Sivin's recommendation of
*Word 97 Annoyances*, which also helped; maybe if O'Reilly published a
*WordPerfect Annoyances* I (you, we) might learn to like WordPerfect.
Peter Evans