END-OF-FILE MARKER

I certainly agree with comments from other users that your lines are noisy.
Even at 1200 bps I am getting a lot of garbage, whereas I can usually work into
the States from Amsterdam with no problems at 2400 using Telix and a modem with
built-in error correction.
.This, in fact, leads me to ask a question. When garbage occurs, it often seems
to produce spurious end-of-file markers (Hex 1A), and XyWrite stoically refuses
to recognise any characters beyond the first occurrence of Hex 1A. Some
programs (eg.Buerg's list utility) will display the entire file, but to read it
in XyWrite I first have to use PC Tools to replace all the 1A's with zeros. Is
there any way of getting round this problem ? Since DOS knows how long the
file ought to be, I would have thought that any premature occurrence of an
end-of-file marker could be disregarded by XyWrite and treated as an error. I
am not a programmer, so forgive me if this seems stupid to those who know a lot
more than I do ! I suspect it has something to do with XyWrite bypassing DOS
and therefore not having access to the information regarding the file length.
Am I right ?