Re: Comprehensive HTML<==>XyWrite conversion made real easy

Well, thank you, Robert. You gave me some valuable clues in your last email.

First of all, for the new HTML filters to work, one apparently also needs the
files W4W17F.EXE and W4W17T.EXE in XyWrite's FILTER subdirectory. Since I
didn't have these, I downloaded the latest ones from the FTP site you listed.

But in XyWin, I did have W4W17F.DLL and W4W17T.DLL in the FILTER subdirectory,
which made me think of the second point: that these HTML filters, which are
EXE files, are probably for Xy4DOS only. I'd need DLL files for them to work
in XyWin.

So, once I had W4W17?.EXE files in Xy4DOS's FILTER subdirectory, the HTML
filters began working. And I gotta tell ya, they work great. Thanks again.

Incidentally, I'm not sure what manner of "struggl(ing) with it" would have
achieved the above, without the help of your last email. I am pretty good at
computers, but not an expert on XyWrite FILTER subdirectory contents,
strangely enough. I appreciate your expertise, and I'm glad your willing and
able to share it; I just hope my ignorance in this instance didn't offend you
too much.

Regards,
Paul Young

≪ > ... unfortunately, the XyWin and
 > XyDos4 programs insist that the HTML filter is not present even after I
follow
 > the instructions below, recommending that I run the install program again.

 > Is there something else that must be done to recognize the HTML filter, or
any
 > filter?

 Paul, struggle with it! Come on! It would take me an hour to describe
 this is fool-proof detail, and I just KNOW that you can get it by yourself.
 It ABSOLUTELY works out of the box. Absolutely! Did you DL or FTP in
 Binary mode? Did you locate W4W108F.EXE and W4W108T.EXE in the same
 directory as your existing filters? Do you _have_ existing filters, and do
 they work? Did you clone lines in both TEXTIN.FLT and TEXTOUT.FLT to
 represent your new HTML filters? Set the switches there to /V0 (you don't
 need them, but... set them anyway). If you call the menus via File ==>
 Import ==> Text, and you look in the scrolling Formats list, do you find an
 option for "HTML" (an option that _you_ created by writing that line, per the
 "clone" step above! if you didn't write it, then you won't see it). Have
 you tried using the filters as freestanding DOS utilities, per instructions
 at:
 http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/#W4W
 That works very well too; just issue (from DOS) two consecutive commands
 (export a Xyfile to HTML):
  W4W17F.EXE XyWrite_source_filename /N /V2
  W4W108T.EXE target_HTML_filename /N /V0
 or else flip it (to import):
  W4W108F.EXE source_HTML_filename /N /V0
  W4W17T.EXE XyWrite_target_filename /N /V2
 Grab the latest XyWrite filters while you're at it, at:
 ftp://ftp.iif.hu/pub/mirror_hosts/ftp.dante.de/pub/tex/fonts/postscript/adobe
/Applications/adobefileutilities/dos/xywrdos.zip
 They're probably not much changed from the old ones distributed with Xy4DOS;
 didn't look...
 ≫