ANSW. TO #4347 (NEW DV)

Looks like I'll be answering my own question. After a half-hour on the phone
with Quarterdeck tech. support today, I've found out about some changes in the
new DesqView (2.34, vs. the approx. 18 month-old 2.26 that I had been using).
The main thing is settings for XY in the Advanced Setup -- via CP, or Change A
Program, in the DV Menu. Previously, I had both "Keyboard Conflict" and
"Protection Level" settings at (1). This is probably neither what they
recommended, or what you recommended, but what I found necessary in my own
usage. Whereas (4) had been a maximal setting for "Keyboard Conflict", it is
now said to be only 25%. In order to do away with my problem of items not
setting to (8). This wasn't in their tech. data-
base yet; we just hit upon it by trial and error. They said that "Protection
Level" should go to (0), though I may put that back to (1) if I run into any
problems. There was also an adjustment to the QEMM line in Config.Sys, but I
think that's an efficient use-of-memory issue, not directly related. It's also
a good idea to make sure the "Maintain Separate Shift States?" in *overall*
Setup does not get overwritten -- i.e., remains set to "Y"es -- when you
install the upgrade. Anyway, this gives you some new info for the next revision
of the DV Appl. Note.