RE: ASCII 10 ??

>I've been ftp-ing various LaTeX files recently and trying to read the
>.doc and .tex files in XyWrite. These are all ascii files, easily read
>by Emacs editor. With XyWrite, though, the lines to not end properly.
>In expanded mode there appear to be LF's (ascii 10) where the lines
>are supposed to end, but XyWrite ignores them. When I tried to do a CI
>to replace them with a normal XyWrite paragaph end (Ctrl-Enter),
>XyWrite cannot find the characters. They *look* like ASCII 10, but
>aren't. The cursor won't land on them, either (it skips over them).
> >What's going on? It there a way in XyWrite to convert them? (The
>ascii conversion filter doesn't help.) Right now I have to call them
>with Emacs, save them and then call them in XyWrite.

Myron,

This is a Unix-to-DOS phenomenon (not a Xy failing in
particular), and you can do a couple of things.

One is to make sure, when you download the files, that you set
your file transfer program (Zmodem, Kermit, whatever) to change
all LFs to CR+LF.

The other is to routinely put such files through a Unix-to-DOS
conversion program. The simplest (and *very* fast) that I've used
is FLIP. You can find it in Simtel sites in
   /msdos/textutil/flip1exe.zip and flip1src.zip

Usage to covert *to* MSDOS format is
   flip -m filename

and to convert *to* Unix format is
   flip -u filename

(And of course within Xy4 you can define the offending LF
character and copy it to the command line to do a search and replace.)

Dorothy Day, Indiana University SLIS day@xxxxxxxx