Re: What's that XX doin' there where a backslash should be?

Carl wrote:
The backslash
plus a  error code translates into the _error_message_
associated with that numeric code when the PRompt is executed. For
example,  reports "There is no command on command line";
 reports "Invalid drive", and so forth. (Issue
ERR /NV to get complete list of error codes and their
associated PRompts.)
Very interesting. I suppose I can use them in my XPL to save memory: call
an existing error rather than storing one as a literal in the program.
Note that this provides a powerful way to capture and report errors
during program execution: >>.
Uhhhh, why wouldn't that happen automatically anyway? If the program
creates an error condition, isn't EDITOR.EXE going to trap it and report it?

> puts up c:XX

As explained above, Editor expects an error code (i.e., a number)
after "\". Since "xy" isn't an error code, Editor returns "XX"
instead of an error message. To put a literal backslash into a
PRompt message, you have to double up on it, i.e., "escape" it with
another backslash: not , but .

Ahhh. So it is possible, and works by the familiar "escape" ploy. Good.

Thanks, Carl.
--Harry
--
Carl Distefano