Change Invisibles: migrating from Xy 3.55 to 4.017

One reason I haven't made the switch to Xy4 from Xy3.55
is an annoyingly slow execution of ci commands.
(Part of that problem is that I don't know much about Xy4 and its
quirks, but therein lies a Catch 22.)

I have several programs that do repeated change invisibles, such
as this snippet (from a routine for converting from Xy to
QuarkXpress tags) (not sure how to represent the pseudocode, so
I'd appreciate your friendly corrections for how to do this in
the future if I've gone astray):

[TF] [BC] ci //[XC]
[BC] ci /@/<\@>/[XC]

In Xy3.55 this goes like lightning. In Xy 4.017 (running in full screen
mode on Win 95 on an HP Vectra VE) it's more like
molasses: each line takes about 2 seconds to process--a lot of
time when your programs contain 100 or so ci's.

Please... can someone on the list point to the little glitch that
will revise these statements to work in Xy 4.017? Many thanks in
advance.

Peter Brown
pbrown@xxxxxxxx
 1