A Glitch

I have encountered a curiosity while editing a manuscript, and cannot
figure out how to correct it.

I wrote this file of some 7200 words in XY 3.54 some time ago, then called
it up today in 3.57 to edit it.

All went well for the first ten pages, then I noticed that each time I
moved down or up a line, the PAGE (not line) count changed, plus one, or
plus two.

The first ten pages clicked off in 58-line segments. Footnotes, header
all okay. Then I attempted an indented quote (IP 5,5 RM 67). That seems
to have deranged things. I got hanging indents with "corrective"
commands like IP 5,0 I got this one line per page thing. I got very
nervous.

In expanded version nothing unusual turns up. I see not bizarre ascii
characters -- though as I write this I recall that earlier today I did at
one point have some unbidden, ununderstood ascii characters pop up one the
screen and I deleted them. Could that be the problem.

I do not program. I do not read code. I can barely pass go.

Can I fix this?

Ed Cray