Off topic: Xp and internet

Guess it's my turn to go off-topic and turn to a mailing list full of people
who know what they're doing and cut to the chase with explanations.

I have a cable modem and reliable ISP. Everything worked great until I got a
new machine with XP Pro. Now I randomly lose connection when using IE.
Suddenly it can no longer find the site I want. OE continues to work fine,
so I suspect it's not the ISP but some setting I've missed in XP.

Any thoughts?

Apologies for being OT. Oooh, that's "Operating Thetan" in
Scientology-speak. I am not an OT, but I am OT.

Chris