EURO QUOTES

XY-> I noticed last night for the first time the new "close-up window" that XyWi
 -> 4.12 includes in the dialog box for inserting special characters. An
 -> excellent idea, and far better than the comparable WPWin 5.2 feature!
 -> However, I noted that the European quotes did not display (ASCII 174 and
 -> 175) in the window, and that selecting them for insertion using the dialog
 -> box produces only the letters "bb" (no quotes) in the open file. Inserting
 -> the quotes directly via the keyboard file does just fine.

There's no display character provided for European quotes in the
Xywin DLG, and I've already had a little chat on the list with
tech support about the problem with the special character box. It
seems that any of the Xywin "coded" characters will not be
processed properly through the Xywin DLG (a simple test was to
substitute a "normal" character for a coded one in the DLG)
unless you follow up with a character that does have a character
representation.

To be fixed.

XY-> Also, two mini tech questions: 1) How does XyWin handle the European quote
 -> internally, compared to the same displayed character that encloses commands

It treats it as a strict ASCII interpretation that sometimes does
and sometimes doesn't work. The easiest cheat is to use a program
such as Font Mixer to rearrange "awkward" characters into
convenient locations; however, depending on the end result of
your work--printed material or a file--you'd have to be careful
about such a route.

 -> 2) I have occasionally run into trouble with accent conversion (usually
 -> French accents) when going from XyWin to Word or other formats. For better
 -> compatibility with XyDos 3.57, I have been using the traditional 850 code
 -> page set of accents in XyWin, set up through my keyboard file. I wonder,
 -> would my conversions be more reliable if I reverted to the (default) 3 digi
 -> codes for accents offered under XyWin?

Some of the problems you're experiencing are the difference
between upper ASCII and Win ANSI. Xywin is somewhat compatible
with ANSI (if it's an ANSI character proper it translates into
the clipboard as an ANSI character) but its 3-digit codes are off
the wall as far as being a basis for compatibility with other
programs is concerned.

--Chet
---
 ? SLMR 2.1a ? Art + write + dtp = chet.gottfried@xxxxxxxx