Re: MSW macro for underbar to italics

Carl, so far I have found that the space-before only works for the quote
marks on that line. The succeeding lines don't work.

Also there is a case where autoformat will not fix underbars: where a quote mark immediately precedes an underbar, as in

'_Why_?'

(in traditional typesetting, you would want the punctuation to be all in roman, not in italic)

It's really pretty amazing how difficult this still is . . . . but I am happy with my find/replace workaround, for the moment. That saves a lot of time for me weekly. (It's the homework I do for my writing class.)

Of course, none of this deals with cases where a right quote mark (i.e.true apostrophe) properly precedes a word, as in 'tis or thousands of other possible similar cases in many languages.

Nobody ever seems to have devised an algorithm that would try to flag that particular problem. You could get close to it by making a first pass through with your normal smartquote correction, then searching for any cases where one right quote follows another - - ?

Side note: for anyone using MSW and Win 8, the new Matthew Carter font Sitka is well worth looking at - - Microsoft's first size-sensitive font, and probably Carter's most legible.

At 23/02/2015 04:24, you wrote:
Reply to note from Bill Troop Mon, 23 Feb 2015
00:22:23 +0000

Bill,

> How interesting! Tomorrow I will try some close/reboot
> scenarios.

While you're at it, and before you restart, try putting a space
before the CrLf immediately preceding the open quote. I did that once
and Word snapped to, no space necessary on later tries. Of course, it
could be a fluke.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx