Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 4:00 PM
Subject: Re: OT: "literally"
Marge,
I think this "literally" is correct: it means he's denying that it was maybe 30 seconds or a couple of minutes, but just literally two (or maybe three) seconds. You can argue with the placement of the "literally"--where it is makes it sound like it modifies "took." Also it is missing an "of."
As a whole, the sentence is very badly written. What is it to compute a
paradigm? What is it to express a paradigm?
I just read this sentence in the book I'm indexing:
"It literally took him a couple seconds to compute this new paradigm that Frank was expressing."
Before this thread, I wouldn't have read this sentence twice. (Maybe not
even once.) I'm trying to figure out what, if anything, "literally" adds
to this sentence. Hmmm...

Marge