Re: "Rich Text" or .rtf format.

** Reply to note from TBaehr@xxxxxxxx on Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:22:14 EST

> WordPerfect 4.2 is often a better
> "intermediate" file format than RTF because it preserves much more of the
> formatting from XyIII or Xy4. MSWord, as far as I can recall, will open
> WordPerfect files directly (the conversion taking place under the hood).
>
> Try it. You might be surprised. I think the reason is that WP 4.2 was
> DOS-based and knew about Speedo fonts.

> Tim Baehr

That seems entirely plausible (esp. the part about Speedos and DOS).
But I'm looking at Word 97's import options and it only provides for
Word Perfect v5.x and v6.x. Same with Word 2000.

Have you ever tried directly converting a XyWrite doc to M$Word using
the later "Hungarian" (Word v6-v8) filters? They work well for me --
better than the older XyWrite-distribution filters.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx