Re: Xywrite under Windows 95, e-mail programs

The "small dos window" problem is because you're using an LCD screen. LCD
screens (unlike standard CRT monitors) only work at one resolution, and DOS
programs have a standard number of lines per screen, so the size is
determined by the combination of line number and resolution.
My Thinkpad 770 has a function which is designed to overcome this problem,
and I'm guessing a 770 ED will have this too. Press the function key ("Fn")
plus F8, and the DOS window should be "stretched" to cover the entire
screen. It makes the font look very slightly blurry and ragged, but it's a
vast improvement.

area, and
lines
solution,
In general, there shouldn't be any problem with running DOS programs under
Windows 95 (apart from their tendency to slow down the computer, which can
be fixed by a utility called DosTamer) - I've been doing it for years. Are
you sure it's not just a matter of Windows not closing the DOS window after
you exit the program? You can check this by right clicking on the icon you
use to run the program (assuming you use an icon on the Desktop), picking
Properties and then the Program tab, and making sure the checkbox "Close on
Exit" is ticked. If this is the problem, then the fact that Windows still
has a DOS box open would account for the "sticky" feeling when you use
other programs - it's just the DOS box slowing down the system.

completely
"Blue
stability
show a
and
advantages
to use
Eudora is a popular mail program, which can be freely downloaded (if you
don't mind the ads), and which will automatically convert Outlook Express
messages when you install the program (if you want it to). This might not
take care of the attachments, but would be worth a try. The original
Outlook Express folders remain undisturbed when Eudora converts them - it
just makes a copy of them which can be accessed within the program. But
maybe you should back them up before you try this, just to be on the safe side.
I find Eudora easier to use than OE, it's very stable and it's got some
neat features. But anything's got to be better than Outlook Express!
>In that case, change the e-mail program pronto presto. There are plenty of
>alternatives. Using a dangerous software is no excuse for suffering
>entirely unnecessary damage.
I would love to change; but there are a couple of obstacles. I don't know the alternatives, and which ones are good, and which ones might be just as bad.
Until I can make something at least approaching an informed choice, better the
devil I know than the one I don't.
   The other thing is that I have a huge amount of e-mail in the current
format, and I don't know how to convert the format, and don't know whether the
converted files would be reliable, without information loss, and so on.