From: Gavin Budge
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re Linux word processors
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 18:17:25 +0100

I'd be interested to get further, more detailed comments on Linux/unix word
processors from any one who's familiar with them - I'm hoping to write a
newspaper article on "IT for humanities academics", with a particular focus
on low-cost options, but have no experience with the Unix world, and it's
very hard to get any objective reviews of Linux programs off the web. How
many have footnote/endnote capabilities, for example? I guess my interest
is really in word processors (as opposed to "text editors", insofar as a
distinction can be drawn).

I shall certainly be giving Xywrite and Notabene honourable mentions!

Actually, none of the existing unix word processors really please me. There are things I do like about Linux/FreeBSD for programming purposes, but not for writing.