Re: Conversion filters (was NB Win availability)

To Ed Curtis and Leslie Bialler--

About WordPort:

A Windows program. Converts to and from XyWrite II and up, along with
practically all word processors. Price $149. Whew! I worked with it for a
time last year and found it probably the best of the conversion utilities,
though all have limitations--particularly if formatting is at all elaborate
or if there are many special characters. I haven?t had to use WordPort a
great deal--the Word for Word conversions in XyW usually do well enough.
But WordPort works, and nothing else I know of deals with XyWrite II and III

If formatting is fairly straightforward, WordPort gives you a file you can
work with. Comes with lengthy documentation on disk--my printout runs well
over 100 pages.

Here?s what I noted down about it early last year: WordPort appears to be
the current standard. But a web search turns up more references to it in
Canada, New Zealand, Germany than in the U.S. And ZD Net shows no
references, no reviews. This may be because Microsoft is so ubiquitous here
that there's little interest in conversion utilities. Seems to be
industrial software, not personal.

Most recent version is 8.0. Mine is 7.3, runs on Win 3.1 under OS/2, and
converts both from and to all versions of XyW and Nota Bene. Make sure that
version 8 still converts to all XyWrite versions, and that it still runs on
Win 3.1 as well as Win 95, 98, and NT.

Put out by Advanced Computer Innovations, Inc., 656 Kreag Road, Pittsford,
NY 14534-3730. Web address: www.acii.com.

Robert Hemenway