Re: Subject: Thesaurus won't work

I resort to a thesaurus--paper or digital--when my mind gets
jammed. The exercise seems to loosen up my mind to the point
where I can zero in on a good word (seldom any of the ones the
thesaurus suggests) or decide to recast the sentence or realize
that what I thought I meant isn't what I meant at all. Any device
that can help me recognize the last problem is worth its weight
in...what does a digital thesaurus weigh, anyway?

Judith Davidsen

Robert Holmgren wrote:
** Reply to message from "Patricia M. Godfrey"  on Fri, 02
Dec 2005 14:43:34 -0500
I've opened my hard copy of Roget perhaps twice in a dozen years--and with no luck, I might add.

Still, you might enjoy (aesthetically) the experience of using U2's Roget
thesaurus, instead of (or in addition to) the XyWrite thesauri. This Roget is
browseable and therefore, to my mind, much more interesting and fruitful. I'm
impressed that, even at your advanced age, your Rolodex of words is still
complete. Mine is certainly shrinking fast. (Although I may be *even older*.)
You never have words on the tip of your tongue, but not quite out?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx