Using Paragon Go Free Edition

Hello all,

I tried this at home (using my kids' XP machine, which I converted to
virtual, and my Win7 Pro workstation for importing it). It was quite
straightforward and easy, but...read on!

How to use Paragon Go Virtual:

Install the free 32-bit or 64-bit version of Paragon Go Virtual
depending on the operating system you plan to export from physical disk
to virtual. Google for password for this free version (same password
works for both free versions).

32-bit:
http://www.tucows.com/download.html?software_id=800175&t=2
64-bit:
http://www.soft-go.com/get/Paragon-Go-Virtual-64-bit_81416.html

Install and run the program and plan ahead.

Checklist:
1) You need enough storage for the virtual hard disk image, it can be
local or on the network. (I used local disk D: and later transferred the
result through my home network.)
2) Which virtualization solution you are going to use. It seems that
this version can export to VMware or VirtualBox.

3) Configure the hard disk export process accordingly in Paragon Go Virtual.

***
There is a newer commercial version (Hard Disk Manager 14 Professional)
that has more capabilities:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-professional/features.html

It seems that you can even buy a cheaper Paragon Virtualization Manager
12 Professional:

https://www.cleverbridge.com/80/uurl-t8yeapxayu

but this is not advertised, and it may be in the process of being phased
out. More about this at:

http://www.paragon-software.com/news.htm?id=0200&year=2012
***

When done, you get files like:
VirtualXP.ovf
vdisk0.vmdk

The VirtualXP.ovf file is a virtual appliance file that you can import
into your virtualization platform, e.g. in VirtualBox, File, Import
appliance. Browse for the file and wait until it is converted for use.

I tried this with an XP machine, it converted and imported ok with all
user accounts and programs intact. But then there is the problem of
activation. You will need to activate XP. If you have a full commercial
package, you can just call Microsoft, and reactivate saying you have a
new machine. OEM licenses do not qualify.

If you have a Win2000 machine, you can use this to convert it to a
virtual machine. With XP, you will have an activation nightmare.
Microsoft could have relaxed this a bit, as this is no different than XP
mode in a Win7 Pro machine.

All in all, this was easy, processing and tranfer took a couple of
hours. Even novices could use this, if they have the XP license money
stashed away somewhere. Upgrades can be costly as the one from W2K to
XP, as there is no downgrade route available. Get one, pay twice.

Best regards,

Kari Eveli
LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland)
lexitec@xxxxxxxx