Re[2]: Editable PDFs

Adobe Acrobat provides for two types of password protections: One password
for opening files and another one for certain restrictions to handle
the file's content.

The first (encryption) password is quite secure (provided that you have
chosen a long phrase, containing also numbers etc. and which could not
be easily hacked with a brute-force attack). Without this password it is
nearly impossible to open the file and see anything from its content.

The second (file protection) password lets you set restrictions which
restrict printing, paste & copying, saving under different name etc.
In an ideal world (Do I really have to say that the world is far away
from being ideal?) this password would be quite a nice thing. However,
send me any of these "protected" files and you will get it back unprotected
within less than a minute ... (There are several programs available which
are intended to lift this password protection.) Up to version 4 of Adobe
Acrobat it has also been possible to do a simple patch with the
acrobat.exe, and having done so - it's magic! - the program does not care
anylonger about any of these file protections. Therefore, this type of
password is *very* unsecure.

Bottom line: Whoever can read a pdf-file can also copy, print, edit and
redistribute it. (But I would not worry too much about this: Whoever can
read a pdf-file can also transcribe it and redistribute the transcription.)

B. Gillessen