Re: DSL, Win XP and Xy

More on XP: Given what I've heard about upgrading *any* operating system from Redmond, I'd avoid an "upgrade." My XP was factory-issue OEM and so far runs fine.

Here's what might work and be cheaper in the long run:
Have someone install a NEW hard drive in your machine, populated with XP. Make that the master boot
drive and your old one the slave. Install new software and copy files from the old drive to the new,
as needed. Keep the old drive for extra storage, or yank it and donate it somewhere.

There will be some glitches, especially in programs, shortcuts, or XPL routines that have the drive
letters hard-coded. Also, some hardware may no longer work: My HP IIIP printer works fine under XP
(and Xy4 in the XP), but my Paperport scanner and mousepad will have to be replaced. But this would
happen under any implementation of XP, "upgrade" or OEM.

I didn't follow the above advice; I bought a new computer and transferred stuff from the old by
sneakernet and e-mailing stuff to myself (I know, I could've set up a little peer-to-peer network,
but....).

Tim Baehr