Re: How to set a path in Win2K?

** Reply to message from Harry Binswanger  on Sat,
24 Feb 2001 16:48:55 -0500

>>Looks like the directory got renamed:

> Of course, it is all NT, not what us plebes have.

Ach! Nonsense. Take a closer look. They only have something like
3500 hacks(!), and much of it is for W95 (read W98/WME). Run some
searches, you'll see! And many hacks purportedly for NT also work in
W95 et al., you just gotta try and see. Of course, be vewy vewy
careful. (This whole discussion is making me increasingly nervous.
If you're not going to apply a very meticulous intelligence, then you
should NOT do it! All these reactions have been lame. Isn't it 99.9%
obvious that if a URL is "http://www.jsiinc.com/TIP0000/Tip0000.htm;
and it turns out to be a nonexistent page, the first alternative you'd
try is the root itself, www.jsiinc.com?? -- not fire up your Email
client and send a helpless msg to this list! I mean, it isn't
"geocities.com" or "aol.com" or something! Clearly, those "Tips" are
direct subsidiary pages of the root -- and the root has been
reorganized!)

Anyway, it's hard to understand why anyone would run W95+ when WNT+
is available. At least, with W2000, it looks like M$ is beginning to
converge the two separate OS streams, so that you don't have to
program things fifteen different ways to manage the niggling
dissimilarities between the various Windows releases.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx