Re: On button, & straight to the Command Line

"Yo Intl." wrote:

> At 10:05 PM 12/14/00 -0500, Leslie Bialler wrote:
> >I had assumed, incorrectly obviously, that you would have understood.
> >And I regret that wrong assumption. The editor icon will be found in the
> >"folder" (i.e., directory) in which you load your XyWrite. Xy perhaps?
>

> Thanks. I know how to make shortcuts; the misunderstanding was that I took
> your saying "go to My Computer, right click on the editor icon, click on
> create shortcut," to mean that somehow an icon called "Editor" must be
> found in the "My Computer" folder.

> Now, the meaning of this was only to make a shortcut to the XY executable?
> Got it. However, when I try that, I get just the editor without my
> startup.int file, which is rather useless.

You can right click on the shortcut icon and click on properties, and point
your "working directory" to, say, c:\xy. I assume you have xy directory in
your path statement?

> I always start XY4 with a XY4.BAT file with the content :
>     break=off
>     editor ,d:\xy4\start4.int/e4000
>     break=on
> However, a shortcut on the desktop pointing to this .bat file does not
> work. So, I'll live with my DOS window.

Now that is totally odd! I will ask our computer administrator next time I see
him. He doesn't know XyWrite but he knows batch files, thankfully.

> >Yes. Mostly due to memory management and printing, especially in version
> >3. But essentially, the DOS window thing is a waste of time.
>
> Don't know. It is just a matter of typing "XY4", and it loads in a second.
> And sometimes I want to use TSE or some other DOS program, so I am happy
> with going to DOS first.

That Dos program Harry mentioned, whereis? That's a useful one! And I also
still have Gordon Haff's DF loaded. Still the best Dos file management program
I know.

Cheers!

lb136@xxxxxxxx
New Address:
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)