Re: XYDOS and XYWIN

What generally brings a Windows program to its knees is not the
limit imposed by your RAM, which if too little simply makes life
impossible by thrashing the hard disk. Windows depends on 3
areas of memory of only 64K each (these, or strictly speaking 2
of them, are the heaps;
"system resources" is the 3d, and has nothing to do with total RAM).
When they fill up the program crashes. Their size is strictly fixed.
The readings I gave the other day were of them. One of the major
changes in W95 is to get rid of these limits (another respect in
which it is a clone of OS/2).

There are plenty of utilities to keep track of these parameters.
I can send you a freeware one if you can read XX-encoded files.

-- Nathan Sivin
History and Sociology of Science
University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia PA 19104-3325