Re: Was OT--Win7 and disk partitions; now using Linux

On 03/24/2010 09:36 AM, Raphael Tennenbaum wrote:
are you only using Mint, Paul? I wanted to check something: using Xywrite under Dosemu under 9.04, when I switch to fullscreen, it looks really nice, that is to say just like it did on my Leading Edge under DOS in 1986. however, dosemu Xywrite under 9.10 on the netbook preserves a border -- it basically looks like windowed dosemu that's filling the screen -- quite useable, just not what I'm looking for.
my first thought was maybe it was a function of the netbook's display
driver -- which it may be, however, under 9.04, fullscreen dosemu
expanded to "true VGA." if you've got dosemu running under Karmic I'd
be curious what it looks like when you ctrl-atl-f.
I'm using Ubuntu more than Mint these days.
I checked in with my 9.10 partition, and I didn't see the sort of difference between fullscreen Xy-Dosemu in 9.04 and 9.10 that you're talking about. When I used the standard Dosemu VGA font in fullscreen mode, 9.10 was actually slightly larger, and so I lost about half a letter on the left (and probably on the right too, but it was not as obvious). I wasn't using the same Nvidia driver in 9.04 and 9.10, and switching 9.10 to the older Nvidia driver cleared up that issue.
If I use another font that doesn't scale as well, I do get a large
border of empty black space, more so on the sides. this is independent
of the video drivers.
If you're not using the basic Dosemu VGA font, try switching to it, and
see if the border is there. If the border goes away, it's probably the
font you're using for Dosemu, not the video driver.

Paul