Re: ABD and DTF

Reply to note from "Robert Holmgren"  Mon, 17
Jan 2005 02:40:03 -0500

As between the two frames, DTF is the one designed with file
management and directory cleanup in mind. Very handy when assigned
to a key, as per Robert's post.

The genesis of ABD (Abort-and-Delete) is a little different.
Instead of opening Untitled files for scratch work, I use named
files with date+time-based filenames generated by U2 frame NEWFILE,
which can be saved to disk with a simple SAve command (no PRompt to
"Specify filename"). ABD makes it easy to delete these files -- or
any file -- when I dismiss them from the current window. It's one
of my staple commands.

If there's any interest, I map my automatic Newfile function to
Ctrl+Alt+N, with this assignment (issue DECODE to decode):

XPLeNCODE v2.0
b-gin [UNTITLED]
49=NOJM(,2,.,P,r,s,K,b,d,A,r,g,),x,m, ,J,M,(,2,.,n,e,w,f,i,l,
e,[,s,x,5,0,CO[,v,a,d,r,],],),NO[cr|lf][cr|lf]
-nd
XPLeNCODE

This ensures that all autonamed files are collected in the XyWrite
TMP file directory (VADR). For me, it's all but replaced the NEw
command. If, while editing one of these files, I decide I want to
save it under a "permanent" filename, it's an easy matter to rename
and relocate it with RENAS [d:\path\]filename.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx