Re: OT but somewhat relevant: & in file names

Patricia,
All through Win 9x, I have been able to name folders, say, VBS&BAT, and CD and DIR them from the DOS prompt. ... I cannot CD to it or get a DIR listing of it from the cmd prompt.
The solution is to use COMMAND.COM [or 4DOS] instead of CMD.EXE. I made a
folder, in Explorer, called it A&B, then opened my DOS window, which loads
the 4DOS version of the command interpreter, and CD worked fine. Using
CMD.EXE didn't work.
My shortcut for DOS calls 4DOS.COM as its command interpreter, and I was
unable successfully to launch the COMMAND.COM that is in windows\system32.
But I'd bet that with fiddling, you could. I'm also checking with JP
Software as to whether I can just give you a copy of 4DOS.COM.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx