Re: Memory "leaks"

≪so far, the program hasn't coughed, but ... i haven't put it thru its
paces yet. [...] i'm not running memory watch proggies cause they consume
memory i'm told.. ≫ --Sherry

If you're really experiencing a memory leak (which I gather is an
unproven assumption based on something posted by someone who doesn't use
win95), the ability to monitor, move by move, which actions grab memory
without releasing it makes a memory meter well worth the small amount of
memory it uses. Could pin the problem down to, e.g., screen rewrites.
Not that there's much a user can do about a leak except shut down and
reload the app--but a meter at least gives you actual data to report
to the careless developer who released leaky code and presumably can
correct it.

≪I don't think Xy4's memory figures mean anything.≫ --Harry

When memory is needed for new tasks, XyWrite 4 theoretically sheds
modules not in use and reloads them when needed, thus--theoretically--
eliminating the need for a function like the v3 ME, which allowed (or
forced) one to do so manually. It's courteous of v4 to unload unneeded
modules when shelling out to DOS, but it's supposed to do that
automatically in any situation where a new demand is being made on memory.
	--a