Re: Two bugs?

Reply to note from cld@xxxxxxxx (Carl Distefano) Tue, 12 Nov 2002
23:56:43 -0500

> I see two Ascii-27's, not CrLfs!

Actually, Harry -- to be precise -- what I received here was two
consecutive instances of Ascii-27 followed by a CrLf, as you can see
in the following encoding of what I received:

XPLeNCODE v2.0
b-gin [UNTITLED]
Blah, blah, blah [cr|lf]In a
ny case, I know of one place where she briefly addressed the{032}
issue.{027}[cr|lf]{027}[cr|lf]Blah, blah, blah. [cr|lf]
-nd
XPLeNCODE

Whether that's what you intended to send is another matter. But
certainly none of the SEarch commands you mentioned in your message
(if I deciphered them correctly) would flag that sequence.

> Bottom line: you can't use /F if there's any possibility that
> the target string will exist at Top_of_File.

Let me qualify that. In non-critical situations, if you're sure you
won't be dealing with a Read-Only text (and you're sure the text
won't be modified by another process), you can get around the bug by
putting a temporary dummy char at Top_of_File, so that any instance
of the target string at Top_of_File will be pushed down one position
and thus become visible to SE/F. Any char will do (whatever it is,
SE/F won't "see" it). Of course, you'll need to clean up after
yourself (TF RC) after the SEarch procedure finishes.

--
Carl Distefano
cld@xxxxxxxx