Re: Refresh rates (XyDOS in XP Window)

Martin wrote: "Maybe MS bought VPC to integrate into the next iteration
of its OS, perhaps solving the compatibility problems. " Sorry to sound
flip, because I deeply sympathize with your problem (I would be stark,
raving bonkers in your shoes), but in your dreams. M$ doesn't want to
solve compatibility problems; it wants everyone to run nothing but its
own rubbish.
Have you considered simply getting another, older, second-hand PC for
running Xy? Xy data files are so small (lean and mean) that they fit
easily on floppies. I got a Compaq laptop for US$130 plus tax last year:
it's a 120 MHZ P 1 with 24 Mb of RAM running W95 a, but Xy (DOS and
Windows) and my database (dBase 5 for DOS) run beautifully on it
(actually better than on the higher-powered, though still ancient,
desktop). P 1 desktops with Win 95 or 98 on them are going for under
US$100 at mail-order liquidators and shows and sales (do they have them
in Canada?) I suggest a laptop, because if you live in a big city, I
realize desk space and electrical circuits for a second desktop could be
a problem. But check the archives, because there were some problems with
some laptop screens even in former times. Xy is so fast than it will
simply blaze on any Pentium-class CPU.
	Aha! So Harry and I, running on AMD CPUs, have nice quick DOS windows,
and John doesn't. You know, Intel announced that it would discontinue
backward compatibility, and maybe it's started doing so unannounced
already. I wouldn't put it past them (anyone remember the great
parity/ECC swindle?). Or am I just paranoid where Very Big Corporations
are concerned?
Patricia