Re: OT: W98-related question

--- "Patricia M. Godfrey"  wrote:

> native
> resolutions, esp. of LCDs.

In the time frame we're talking about for that W98
FreeCell, it would have mostly been on 17" CRTs -- not
LCDs. Can't rule out the odd laptop, though, and I
can't vouch for what the screen res. may have been. A
lot of people who ran W98 seemed perfectly content
with 800 x 600, in my experience. That's definitely
too low-res for me, particularly with the 32-bit OSes.

> I just now installed the Games section of Win98SE
> Now I have to try to get rid of Games. The things I
> do
> for this list! (Grin).

Well, thanks for looking into that anyway, Patricia.
Your findings cast some doubt on what I thought I
remembered.

Yeah, I guess that explains why you apparently can't
*force* the older version to run, without it's being
pre-empted.

If I decide to go with slide out trays for the next
rebuild of my tower system -- and since I may have a
couple of older HDDs with no further purpose, I might
just try to put a solo W98SE on one. (It is still a
viable test platform for certain older programs, so
long as you minimize the risks by not connecting it to
the internet.) Then I can confirm this without Ifs,
Ands, or Buts.

Jordan