Re: Off topic... but may be of interest.

M.W. Poirier wrote:

 Harry: I don't know if your version of LOCATE operates like mine,
 but I tried it again, and believe it or not, when I ask it to identify
 all of the programmes that have been modified today, it comes up
 with nothing, not even the ones that are created by the system when I
 turn on the computer.
Hmm, maybe it was written in the former Soviet Union or the
Balkans, and is using the Julian Calendar, where today is, IIRC,
June 5?
Seriously, I suspect the size of modern hard drives (esp. given
the prevalence of the idiotic practice of having everything on
one huge C: drive) is simply too much for RAM to handle, esp.
when also holding a bloatware opsys like Redmond Rubbish.
And this is one area where a GUI is really useful. What I'm
looking for is a program that
1. Has a logical, well-organized user interface, such as W9x's
Find had.
2. Does indeed find all the files that match the spec (as neither
Find nor Search does).
3. Not merely gives you a scrollable, sortable display, but lets
you print it or save it to a file. I'll look at what's been
suggested, but I'm not sanguine.
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx