Do we actually need XP support?

XP support from MS ends early next month.

I am not convinced that we actually need XP support. If we have something like Norton 360 running, what real risk can there possibly be? I think this is just alarmist talk to get customers to upgrade to Win 8.1, a system they don't want to upgrade to. Win 7 is extremely nice, but no longer officially for sale. Win 8.1 is actually not so bad once you learn to put the annoying elements out of the way. Certainly, to get the most out of any new hardware, one needs Win 8.1.

I am totally happy running Win 8.1 and XyWrite under W2K and VMware. XyWrite simply appears as the program it has always seemed to be. As W2K doesn't connect to the Internet, there is no need to protect it in any way. Under Win 8.1, W2K merely serves as a kind of pre-processor for XyWrite. One of the advantages of such a modern system is clearer fonts for XyWrite.