Re: PostScript de faqto [was "Re: `Kerning?'"]

** Reply to note from "..."  Wed, 19 Feb 1997 15:54:34 -0500 (EST)

Very comprehensive answer. Thank you. I appreciate it. I think I get the
gist of it. PostScript is an interpreted language. Adobe invented it.
Ghostscript and GoScript emulate (clone) it. Ghostscript and GoScript
provide software interpreters, whereas Adobe relies on intepreters located
on chips in printers. To the extent that PostScript is used to print
words, the only significant difference between Adobe and G(h)o(st)script is
going to be the font descriptors (what's the term for these anyway, the
PFBs?); spacing and cursor movement and graphical drawing should be
identical, right? Or wrong?

I realize that PS is, or can be used as, a general language. But basically
I want to print words with it, only. So I guess I'm back in the WiDth
table business again (whew). I wrote a WiDth table generator specifically
for XyWrite, called ALTERFNT.EXE, back in the 80s (for bitmapped fonts).
I'd very much like to have Steve C's elegant solution! Or a kludgy
solution! *Any* solution... Maybe the NB folks have one? My basic
(only, really) problem now is accurate horizontal spacing for all fonts.

How about vertical leading? Should one set AL=1 (AutoLeading On)?

All quite interesting, actually. Where do I get additional PFBs? You suggest
that Adobe is very proprietary; but the Alladin docs say that Adobe
"contributed" their fonts to Ghostscript. Ghostscript package is dated 6/96,
so its no antique clinker.

I may not stick with PostScript for primary printing, but it's nice to know
what it can do. Impressive.

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx