Re: XyWin install for XP Pro?

"Prof. Peter Knupfer" wrote:

> I take it that XyWin (4.1) is incompatible with WinXP?

Not so, according to past discussions here.

> At least it appears that my XW installer doesn't want to proceed

You should expect that result from the majority of older (16-bit, or
circa Win 3.1, and maybe early Win-'95) Windows programs.

> Can the files be decompressed from the disks and moved to their
> proper directories by hand,

Yes, provided you know what the archiver was that they used (I don't,
offhand, but it might be in the message base somewhere), and happen
to have the standalone utility amongst your archival software. The
preferred procedure discussed here was to take an old, fully installed
XyWin directory with all the files, and back it up or XCOPY it into
a so-named and so-located directory on your XP system. Then make a
working desktop icon (shortcut) for it. (I hope I'm not thinking of the
procedure for XyDOS here . . . . )

> or will that cause trouble with the system
> registry, even if it could be done?

My recollection is that the install does very little or critical, by way of

changes to the Win Registry. But you should know that I never liked
Windows or XyWin, and used them infrequently. I did succeed in
getting a working XyWin installation into NT-4, and then later into W2K,
by means that could not have involved the installer. Hopefully this will
still be the case for you, in XP.

Jordan