Re: off topic: Gramm[a!]r Question

On May 24, 2005, at 4:10 PM, Harry Binswanger wrote:

That I agree with--it ain't arbitrary, although there are options. And I endorse your disagreement with "poor Whorf." BTW, did you know that the old canard about the Eskimos having 5 different words for "snow" turns out to be an urban legend?
Oh sure. It is particularly funny since even the most authoritative references to the "snow" words vary enormous with respect to how many: some say 5, some say 17, some say 8. I'm not sure how much we actually disagree about the other stuff (or how you and Chomsky disagree); I would start by distinguishing the genesis of the innate structure (something about which we now know approximately nothing other than evolutionary just-so stories) from what the structure actually is (about which we have discovered quite a bit). Regards, David David Auerbach Department of Philosophy & Religion Box 8103 Raleigh, NC 27695-8103 visit: http://www.slowfoodusa.org