Re: how to stop Win10 updates

Bill,

At least with prior versions of Windows (so I'm thinking here
too in the case of 10 ?) there have been pages that IT people
like Flash could go to in order to download specific MS KB items,
for these to be applied on-site, at will, at the specific local
computer.  If this is no longer possible for 10, I'm sure
someone can point that out.  I was reminded of this by
persistent -- and apparently all too common -- failures in
one's Win Update sub-system, going back to at least XP.
I have run into this on various computers, most recently
on a Lenovo laptop.  This sent me searching for useful links
and articles on the subject.  One of them that I bookmarked
was this:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-update-isnt-working/

The MS resource I had in mind seems to be described under
the section "Manually Install Updates."

I have already tried the "Win Update Troubleshooting Tool",
which was inconclusive and probably unavailing, so
I'm prepared to "escalate" to one of the more aggressive
solutions.  One of my W7 desktop rigs reports that I have
over 650 MS Updates installed, which has to be at least
200 - 250 more than I believe is plausible, and therefore
must itself be a sign of some index or catalog on that
system being corrupted.  This may be an artifact of various
updates that I did not want and had to forcibly remove, lest
they bring the system down (as several have done) or drag
it into 10 territory.  It looks like there are ways to "zero out"
the list of Installed updates, but I don't want to lose that
unless there is some easy, sure way to reconstitute it -- corrected --
without having to reinstall any updates.  For much the same
reasons, I don't want to go so drastic as to remove and reinstall
MS Update itself, if that can be avoided.

     Jordan