Re: XY Under Vista

Thanks, Carl, for calming us down. It makes sense that the developers would
want to keep DOS, and that third-party people will keep it alive.
Then, in the more distant future, there's NotaBene. I have only kept it on
the side, myself. But I do use it for large files, and maybe as the years
roll softly by, I'll make the transition.
Carl Distefano  wrote:

> My point was that, as long as the VDM is still there at all, it
> doesn't surprise me to hear that Xy runs. I don't see evidence of a
> sinister conspiracy within MS to undermine the VDM by subtly
> disabling functions here and there with each new release, no death
> by a thousand cuts. Nor does it seem likely that the VDM will be
> pulled anytime soon. Even if dumbed-down ordinary users ignore the
> command line, the developers who write OpSyses no doubt still depend
> on it for their work; why would they deprive themselves? And if it
> is ever jettisoned, there will almost certainly be third-party VDMs
> to replace it. I'm not losing any sleep over this.

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx