Re: Various questions

Chiozzi Andrea wrote:
> 3) I need to export formatted xy documents as graphic files (i.e. pcx,

>  tiff ), and to send document via fax.

There is a very easy way to turn XyWrite files into graphics. The
conversion procedure is very simple:

1. Print the XyWrite document to a file using a Postscript printer
driver. For instance, rather than saying "tyf ,lpt1" at the command line,
simply say "tyf ,document.ps". The print driver will create a postscript
file (NOTE: you must have a postscript printer driver loaded).

2. Convert the file "document.ps" to a graphic format using the Aladdin
Ghostscript package.

To do this, you will need the Aladdin Ghostscript package. It is
available for FREE at

	www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost

Ghostscript will interpret Postscript files and translate them into a
zillion other graphics formats, in many different resolutions. Just go to
their website and follow the instructions.

There is also a windows GUI (graphic user interface) front-end called
GSView. It is also free, and makes using Ghostscript truly easy and fun.
Installation and setup in Windows takes about 5-10 minutes and is
painless.

It took me just a couple of minutes this morning to create a tiff from a
one-page XyWrite document. It would not take substantially longer for a
batch of documents, using the "tyf @,document.ps" procedure.
In terms of file size, in my test the postscript file is 10x the size of
the XyWrite text file, and a 120-dpi bitmap is 10x the size of the
postscript file. The resulting graphics are not necessarily small.

If you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help out.

Shawn Harrison
Associate Editor
Tyndale House Publishers
shawn_harrison@xxxxxxxx
"The legal system is not fun, but it *is* an improvement
over duels and feuds." --Harvey Harrison, attorney