Re: Paste into XyDOS from clipboard

	with Windows active and using a pointing
	device, you can paste directly from the
	win95 clipboard into whatever you left
	on the xyWrite 3 (full) screen. Right-click
	xyW icon on taskbar->copy->paste. ≫ 	--me

	I'm in Windows 98. I am well aware of the
	copy and paste capability that requires a
	mouse, using XyWrite in a window. I use this
	procedure all the time and HATE IT... [...]
	I need to be able to copy and paste w/out
	using a mouse. 			--Jay McNally

"xyWrite 3 (full) screen" means dos xyWrite *not* in a
window, Jay--no Alt+Enter involved. Copying a clip from
win9x to whatever you left on the xyWrite screen requires
a mouse (or whatever) only in Windows to block the clip
(unless you use cursor key shortcuts) and to activate
the taskbar icon; after that you can use cursor keys
and Enter. (If you edit the win9x xyW pif hotkey
preferences you can deactivate Alt+Enter. The only
hotkey I turn on is Alt+Tab.)

The NoteTab pasteboard file feature should help. Glad to
hear you downloaded the freeware, and hope you can make
the most of it. But one of my main beefs with it is that
*it* requires a pointing device for too many operations,
an odd failing for an app otherwise so well-considered.
NoteTab's file directory Quick List is very handy, e.g.,
and Shift+F7 toggles between text and list, but the only
way I know to get to the box above the Quick List, to
define a new displayed dir path, is via p.d.

≪ I THINK I use XyWrite for DOS, but see that it came
in the XyWrite for Windows box. ≫

Uhhh ... clear the command line (probably F5), type
the word help, execute (probably F9) to see what version
you're using, and let us know. (When you said you'd used
xyWrite for 15 years and didn't mention xyW4, I assumed
you must be using xyW3. You asked elsewhere about
assessments of the various releases: you can find
mine at http://www.escape.com/~yesss/_x45w4nt.htm.)

≪ I absolutely HATE those meeces to pieces! (Even
more than canned spinach!) ≫

 Although I don't own one myself (I use other
pointing devices), I don't mind them on principle.
I object a *lot*, however, to having to shift hand
from keyboard to nontyping position and back when
using a text app.

I memorize keyboard shortcuts and have tried several
"keyboard mouse"s that assign mouse funcs to keys.
Some are better than others. The only one that ever
came close to being just right--NoMouse--was a win3
util that works alone in win95 but interferes with my
Windowswide kbd remapper, KR, which is more valuable to me.

You might consider a keyboard mouse Daniel Say turned me
on to recently, although it has two big flaws: To move
the mouse cursor diagonally you must Ctrl+cursor key right
or left and up or down; better utils use combo or corner
key solutions. Second, kbd assignments are hard-coded to
both cursor keypads and to Ctrl+A; left click overrides
CUA define-all. Nor have I mastered actually blocking
text with it, which can't be done via keyboard shortcuts
in my telnet client.

Still, if your aim is just to keep both hands on the kbd,
you might be able to live with it, a secondary tool of
shareware named ToggleMouse (I don't have the URL handy;
if interested, google--it's widely distributed). TM has
lots of other meecy bells and whistles Daniel likes. ... Ciao. 		--a

	xyWin+nbWin+xyW3 !xyWWWiz Web assistants +
	xyWrite 3 supplements !xyWise and !xyWiz +
	Wolfgang Bechstein's seafaring adventures: