Re: Automated Clean-up of Ragged Text ?

R Tennenbaum wrote:

> Unnecessary if you've got the Jumbo U2, which has the complementary
> commands "putcr" and "unputcr" (used here constantly to ready text for
> cutting-and-pasting into other applications).

> For instance, there's the incredibly useful "PutDF-CM." What this does is
> place
> defined text up to the command line.

I've had an equivalent routine placed on a key in a default Save/Get file for
many years, and use it frequently.

> I use it when the imported/pasted text has scads of extra spaces (happens
> often when I copy things off web
> sites via Netscape for OS/2) in conjunction with a quick keyboard
> routine:
>
>     bc,c,h,cr,/,/,/,cl,cl,NOJM,2,.,P,u,t,D,F,-,C,M,Q2,cr
>
> If I define a big chunk of spaces from the l.-hand margin over to the
> first word, then hit the key to which I've attached the above, what I get
> is
>
>     ch /        //
>
> which I can execute to rid of all them spaces.

Yes, but that's single-shot, rather than recursive. One of the ancient
macros I referred to in my original message stacked a bunch of these
commands, and ran through them, all without XPL. I expect an XPL approach
could have done it much better, and coped with a wider range of formatting
problems.

> The Jumbo U2 file is extremely useful, but there's no alternative to
> poring over it to get the usefulness out of it.

I'm sure you're right, and I'd like to do that when time permits, but for a
particular solution right now I find it advantageous when someone can tell me
exactly what routine to look for in there, based upon personal usage of it.
Saves a lot of time.

Jordan