Re:more help help help with u2 installation

Dear Robert,

Thank you for responding.  Unfortunately, I have some very elementary questions before I can go any further in following your directions.

After copying my current c:\xy4 directory and all its contents to a directory on my d: drive which I called d:\xygood, I copied all the new downloads referenced in my prior e-mail to the active directory namely c:\xy4.  I also downloaded reg-read.me into that directory.  Unfortunately, I am very confused or downright ignorant about setting up a path in xp.   when I typed echo %path% I got a path which showed my windows directory on my d: drive.  However when I called up a file called autoexec.bat in my c root directory I found a path that looked completely different and I am pretty sure is not the path in the sense that I understood it in either dos or windows 98se.   I also did a dir  auto*.* of the d: drive root directory.  all I found was a file autorun.inf.  Checked the help under windows, it only talked about understanding what a path was and not how to set it in windows xp.  It was also not described in my book on windows.  Since you are clear that I need to put c:\xy4 into the path how do I do it.

By the way since I have had windows xp(about 4 months) I have not had a problem that I am aware running xywrite even though I do not have c:\xy4 in my path. I do not know whether the following two items are relevant to why I do not seem to have any problem even though xy4 is not in my path. Two things you should be aware of, I never print in xywrite.  I always convert my document to pure text and print it in wpdos5.1 or convert to a wordperfect document using word for word and then print in wordperfect if I need the formating commands such as margins.  I only use two fonts, the hp built in fonts new times roman or universe condensed on the hp4 or 5 or 3 laserjet printers.  In addition my screen is set to light green on black and I never fool around with any screen fonts. By the way years ago the faa did a study and found amber or light green on black was easiest on the eyes of those who sit in front of computer monitors for any length of time.

My reason for preferring wordperfect 5.1 for printing is that I think the kerning tables are as good as any I have ever seen and after 12 years I am very comfortable entering formating commands in xywrite and knowing how they travel into word perfect and the procedure only takes a minute or
so.

Again thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Avrom

mailto:avromf@xxxxxxxx and aff413@xxxxxxxx

so20-40 seconds.  More important it works so why fix what isn't broken.