Re: Highlighting a line

On 03/20/97 at 10:05 AM,
  jbesser@xxxxxxxx said (in so many words):

<- A question for the list:
<- Is there a way to set XyWrite/Dos to highlight the line the cursor is
<- on? Some editors--Qedit, for example--do this by default. It would
<- be useful to me, since I use a VGA gray scale monitor, and finding the
<- cursor is often a chore.

You can alter the appearance of the cursor pretty radically, but I don't
know of a standard way to do the line the cursor is on.

A *very* crude approach to this (with the virtue of simplicity) would be
to change the kbd assignments of certain cursor movement keys to have to
do a DL (define line) after the move (and a YD before the move). Of
course, should you happen to actually want to select text...

A more complicated variant would use an unused mode with a vivid screen
appearance. Cursor keys would have to a) kill that mode, b) move the
cursor, c) mode that line. In its most sophisticated form every movement
key would trigger a call to a program that checked the line and mode...
Lots of overhead.

I now await elegant solutions.

--
                     Regards,
                     David

The finest landscape in the world is improved by a good inn in the foreground.
                --Samuel Johnson

David Auerbach              auerbach@xxxxxxxx (David Auerbach)
Department of Philosophy & Religion
NCSU